It is my great honor to have been chosen as the 2020-2021 16th District Commander.
My goals for this year are:
Laying a foundation starting in 2020/2021 to carry us forward to 2023/2024
- Remember our Past to better our Future
- Refresh the basics
- Serve others before Self
- Serve our Community
- Serve our State
- Unite the Family
Remembering our Past to better our Future – refresh the basics by breaking down and understanding our Preamble, simplifying the purposes outlined within.
Serving others before ourselves –
- First focus area is to Serve our Community
- District Community is defined as our Resident Posts and their local communities and our District Committees.
- Identify events and ways in which we can participate in acts of service – how can we roll up our sleeves and help our posts and committees be successful
- Communicate the needs for these events and invite participants
- Second focus area is to Serve our State
- District State defined as Department Leadership and Department Committees
- Actively support Department Leadership initiatives such as Membership campaign
- Provide volunteers for Department Committee events and ensure coverage of all Committee meetings
Unite the Family – bridge the gap through inclusion of and participation with ALA, SAL and The American Legion Riders
Long term/Continuity Planning – it is our intent to get away from year by year planning. We believe this to be a better way to ensure the growth and success District wide; to allow for a smooth transition and stability in uncertain times; and is trainable and sustainable.
I look forward to working with everyone this year to accomplish those goals.
Commander, District 16 Virginia